Kotaku has a fun article asking readers to recommend their top games http://kotaku.com/the-classic-pc-games-you-must-play-1246823468 Head on over and weigh in!
1. Only games from 2003 and earlier. The last ten years is still too current to qualify for a “classics” list. Hey, we had to draw the line somewhere!P
2. Please don’t leave non-entry, direct comments on this post. They’ll just get pushed down. Save your comments for others’ submissions.P
3. All entries must be legally purchasable. We’d prefer you include games that are easily available digitally, but if you must include a game that is difficult to find, link to the eBay and Half.com pages (or similar sites) to help people find cheap used copies. Any comments linking to torrent/piracy sites will be removed.P
4. Avoid dupes. If someone’s beaten you to your favorite classic game, please avoid making a second entry for it. Instead, chime in beneath their comment to add your own take on the game, your own images, your own memories and videos. It’s true that this approach will favor those who read and act quickly, but it’s also the best way to get a list that is easily scannable and doesn’t have 12 entries for Deus Ex. (Which I actually already wrote up. Heh. Sorry.)P
5. Follow this format for your entries, including bold text:P
IMAGE [preferably at 970×546]
Why: Explain why the game is great. Make your case! Try to keep it to a single paragraph, maybe two. Feel free to include a video example, if that helps.
Where you can get it: Put all the places you can get a copy, with a link if possible. eBay, Half.com, other places for used copies of games that aren’t available digitally.
Tips for modern machines: Lots of classic games have a few tweaks that’ll make them run better on modern machines. Include those here, along with any links to forum posts summing up which patches to include. Links to HD mods, other user-created fixes and content are also great!P